If you're here, we trust you are in hot pursuit of uncovering nuance in the cup.
The BEST part of doing pour-overs is that they require a lot of exploration and investigation.
You're going to be experimenting with 3 key variables: water temp, grind size, and coffee weight.
Steps 1 and 2 are the most important.
- Set the expectation that there is no easy one-size-fits all solution.
- Buy yourself a reasonable burr grinder.
Now, deep breath, here's what you'll need:
- Hario V60 pour over and corresponding filter
- 20g coffee (perhaps the Rock Canyon House?)
- Filtered hot water just off boil
Fold the filter and place it into the pour over. Rinse filter with hot water. Discard the water.
Grind coffee to the coarseness of fine kosher salt and place in filter. make sure you have a level bed of coffee.
Set your mug and prepared ensemble onto the scale and tare the weight.
Start your timer and in a circular motion pour hot water over the coffee until just saturated, 30g of water.
Continue to pour water in slow circles every 10-15 seconds until you reach 360g of water.
At three minutes remove the pour over. Your creation is ready for consumption. Enjoy!